Wednesday 4 October 2017

Welcome

Welcome to my blog!


I aim to post a little about the wild flowers I've spotted while out and about in Northumberland, where I live, and sometimes further afield. Disclaimer: I am by no means knowledgeable about botany.


Over the next few days I'll detail some of my orchid sightings over the last couple of years. I've started to really fall in love with them and get a little bit trainspottery about them.


First up we have the Northern Marsh Orchid, dactylorhiza purpurella. This one was found at Druridge Bay Country Park, 20 June 2015. A good way to differentiate these from common orchids is by looking at the stalk and leaves, which are broad. You can see a few faint spots on the upper leaf but otherwise leaves are unspotted. Not a great pic; perhaps I'll go back there next spring and get a better one!







No comments:

Post a Comment